VL38 floor lamp is based on the original design of the VL38 table lamp. The VL38 table lamp was originally designed in the late 1930s by Vilhelm Lauritzen in partnership with Louis Poulsen for the construction of the Radiohuset building (the Danish broadcasting house) in Copenhagen (today the Royal Danish Academy of Music). Vilhelm Lauritzen’s lamp design, VL38 and the pendant VL45 both designed for Radiohuset, started to appear in Louis Poulsen catalogues after World War 2 in the middle of the 1940s. To accommodate contemporary advances in light technology and energy efficiency the fixtures have been fitted with LED.
The fixture emits downward directed light. The angle of the shade can be adjusted to optimize light distribution. The shade is painted white on the inside to ensure a soft comfortable light.
Vilhelm Lauritzen (1894-1984) is a prolific architect in the history of Denmark, being the figurehead of Danish functionalism. He is iconised by his buildings that encapture the concentrated essence of contemporary life, examples include Nørrebro Theatre (1931–32), Daells Varehus department store (1928–35), Radiohuset (1936-41) and the first airport built in Kastrup (1937–39). Other poignant landmarks that stemmed from his creative includes Folkets Hus (1953–56) better known today as the Vega concert venue, the Shellhuset (1950–51) building and the Danish embassy in Washington (1958–60). In particular the Radiohuset building and the earliest version of Kastrup Airport – both listed today – are considered peerless monuments to modernism in the European genre of construction.